I’ve been avoiding writing this blog post for weeks now.
Part of me hasn’t really wanted to talk about this topic because, well, it sucks. Grief is a weird and wild process, and it manifests itself differently in all of us. No matter where you are in your own stage of loss, using essential oils for grief can be supportive for emotional health.
I would much rather share with you my latest DIY recipe or a recent travel adventure, to be honest. But if you’re reading this, chances are you are struggling right now. Maybe you’ve recently lost someone you love. Or you’re grieving some unmet expectations. Or maybe you’re feeling like you’ve lost your place or purpose. I’ve been there, and while I’m certainly no expert I do know that it all gets a fraction easier when we can connect with others who know what we’re going through. So here goes.
On January 21, 2019, my grandfather passed away. He lived a full and beautiful 92 years and I am so grateful to have known him this far into my adulthood, but we’ve all been processing the big emotions over here.
When my mom transitioned a few years ago, I was just beginning my essential oil journey and I did not take the time to really dive into what I was feeling. As a result, the six months following her death are honestly a giant blur, and my lack of emotional stability created mass chaos in my life. I’ll share more about that season with you…one day.
My grandfather’s loss is, of course, deeply felt by our family and his many friends and acquaintances from a long life. He is survived by my grandmother (affectionately known by all as “Nana”), and I have had the opportunity to be with her since his passing. They just celebrated their 61st wedding anniversary this past summer and, as you can imagine, the adjustment to life without her partner has been challenging. I am so grateful to be able to be with her during this time and even more grateful to have tools at the ready to help us both.
The energy has been heavy, to say the least, and I feel like I’ve lived a thousand lives in the last few weeks.
Between taking care of my grandmother, managing financials and paperwork, working my side hustle from 12am-6am (I moonlight as an ESL teacher with a company based in Beijing), being away from the husband (he’s working in Georgia while I hang here in Nevada), and running my business, there hasn’t really been a whole lot of time for much else. But we are stepping back into a routine around here, and feeling much more grounded thanks to loads of self-care, rest, and (of course) oils.
Essential Oils for Grief
Here are the essential oils we’ve been using in all the ways to support emotional healing. Any or all of these can be diffused or applied topically to the pulse points, soles of the feet, and chest.
(Click HERE to check out my favorite diffusers and get 25% off with code: NOMAD)
- BALANCE: “Grounding Blend.” The Oil of Grounding. Promotes feelings of connection, stability, and committment.
- BERGAMOT: The Oil of Self-Acceptance. Supports confidence, hope, and love.
- BREATHE: “Respiratory Blend.” The Oil of Breath. Addresses feelings of sadness, grief, and constriction.
- CITRUS BLISS: “Invigorating Blend.” The Oil of Creativity. Encourages creativity, motivation, and play.
- CONSOLE: “Comforting Blend.'” The Oil of Consolation. Helps ease feelings of loss, restlessness, and emotional pain.
- COPAIBA: “The Oil of Unveiling.” Promotes clarity, self-awareness, and purpose.
- CYPRESS: “The Oil of Motion and Flow.” Supports adaptabillity, trust, and an ability to go with the flow of life.
- FRANKINCENSE: “The Oil of Truth.” Encourages spiritual connectedness, protection, and discernment. This is my favorite oil hands-down. You can read more about why, here.
Here’s a little recipe for you to add to your diffuser or make a rollerbottle.
I hope you found something here that was helpful for you. Please feel free to send me a message if you’d like more information, or just want someone to talk you. I got you, babe.